Friday 8 January 2016

Bout of Books 15: Wednesday-Friday

Bout of Books

Hello all. I've been at work for a couple of days so decided not to write readathon updates in my free time, but devote the time to actually reading over my lunch breaks and evenings instead. My third book of choice was Career of Evil by "Robert Galbraith" (who I think we all know is J. K. Rowling.) I don't think it was quite as good as The Silkworm, which followed detective Cormoran Strike as he looked for clues to a murder within the victim's manuscript of a novel, but it still did not disappoint. Career of Evil is another really dark thriller, with moments of pitch-black humour which make way for an investigation into a trio of very, very unpleasant characters. Although the suspects in this novel were limited to three, Rowling - sorry, Galbraith - keeps you guessing right to the end, "It must be this one," "Nope, here's a clue that says it can't be..." and when at last Cormoran Strike reveals the incriminating evidence, we find that, once more, the clues were there if only I hadn't overlooked them. Clever. Meanwhile, all I could do was watch helplessly, as Robin Ellacott, Strike's assistant, made some of the biggest mistakes of her life...

After the darkness of Career of Evil and Disclaimer earlier this week, it's time for some comfort reading, and I fully intended to spend today re-reading Pride and Prejudice. But life had other plans, and instead I got somewhat distracted listening to the soundtrack of the Broadway musical Hamilton which nearly everyone on the internet has been raving about for the past few months. I'd been trying to resist the hype, not being a fan of hip-hop or US political history, but I succumbed and have spent most of the day listening to it instead of reading. I'm not going to become completely obsessed with the show, but I did enjoy the songs, became emotionally involved in the fates of the characters (some of which I knew a little about, most of which I did not) and have had the whole thing in my head ever since. It piqued my interest in Alexander Hamilton and the early years of the USA as a nation, gave me a hunger for more knowledge on the subject. A couple of bloggers I follow, Sarah and Alley are taking part in a readalong of Hamilton's biography, and although I've no plans to join in the reading, I'll certainly be stalking their #Hamalong posts, which may have played a part in persuading me to give the show a chance. I'm glad I did, even if it did disrupt my readathon.

7 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Silkworm is my favourite too. That might be the literary setting of it or the sheer gruesomeness of it but I loved it. Career of Evil was wonderful too; I can't wait for the next one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the literary element was a winner for me. Looking forward to book 4. Working it out from the dates, I think book 4 must have a lot to do with the phone-hacking scandal: the event at the end of Career of Evil takes place a week before it all kicked off, and Strike's journalist friend worked at the News of the World. I'm sure that can't be an accident. Also, wasn't Mr Galbraith's mate JK Rowling a victim of the phone-hacking too, or am I misremembering? Anyway, time will tell.

      Delete
    2. I think you're right! I'm looking forward to book 4 even more now. That and needing to find out what happens with Robin...

      Delete
    3. Yes - I can't believe it ended like that! Or rather I can believe it, but there was a false hope spot earlier on where it looked as though we would be spared that ending, but I didn't trust the book to go where I wanted it to go. I was talking to my colleague who had already read the book, said "I'm so glad [insert spoiler here]" to which he just said "I'm saying nothing." Which said it all really.

      Delete
  3. I still haven't started any of the Robert Galbraith books, I really should get on that. I'm having to keep a beady eye on my mum's bookshelves because both her and my stepdad have read the first two, and if she decides to have another little book cull THEN WHERE WILL I BE?! Galbraith-free, is where.

    Happy P&P-reading - it seems to be a week of Austeny talk this week. Hanna's rereading Persuasion and I was thinking of finally getting to Northanger Abbey sometime soon. Can't beat a little Austeny goodness of a winter day. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It might be wise for you to smuggle those books off to your room if they are in danger of culling them. I'm sure they could hide quite well among the rest of your shelves.

      Northanger Abbey was my first Austen. My mum suggested it to me as the heroine Catherine lets her imagination run away with her, rather like me.

      Delete

Come and say hello! I don't bite (well, except at the full moon...)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...