Friday 15 October 2010

Book Blogger Hop and Coming Soon, 15/10/10

The Book Blogger Hop

Book Blogger Hop

It's that time of the week again when book reviewers hop around each other's blogs like crazy frogs. I have to confess to being very greedy when it comes to following book blogs, I just can't read enough reviews by kindred spirits across the world. Alas, this means that my to-read list just keeps getting longer than I can hope to get through, thanks to all the recommendations.
"When you read a book that you just can't get into, do you stick it out and keep reading or move to your next title?"
I don't like to give up on a book, and nine times out of ten I will see it through to the end. If the book that I'm reading isn't enticing me, I'm more likely to put it aside in favour of something lighter or an old favourite - or many - but I try to get at least three chapters read between one more enjoyable book and the next. I can think of two books in the last couple of years that found themselves in a charity shop without my having read to the end, and one that went back to the library unfinished.

Coming Soon

I haven't had as much reading time in the last week as I would have liked, due to various inconveniences such as work and making up for lost sleep, but I have three days off which I intend to make the most of. Alas, my to-read list just gets longer and longer. I still have two library books, (which have now been renewed until 2nd November) a handful of bought books and an ever-growing wish list.

Twenty Boy Summer and The Hunger Games arrived on the doorstep on Tuesday, two books I've heard a lot about in the last month or two.

Today I'm reading Twenty Boy Summer, and aside from any thoughts on the story, I observed with interest that some paperback books imported from the USA have a different texture to UK editions. The cover feels either slightly fuzzy or smoother than smooth, bringing to mind the surface of a chalkboard, compared with the UK's matt or cheap shiny paper covers. Also, the book is slightly floppier. Perhaps American printers use lighter paper?

I bought Fallen by Lauren Kate and Hush, Hush by Becca Fitzpatrick, which appear to have similar subject matter, were published around the same time, (as were their sequels,) and which have gorgeous covers. I finally bought my own copy of To Kill a Mockingbird, one of the great classics and must-reads in the history of literature. Last on the list is my sister's copy of the latest Terry Pratchett book, I Shall Wear Midnight, about which she gave a couple of little hints that caused it to scream out, "READ ME!"

11 comments:

  1. Hello from across the Atlantic. Glad you stopped by! I am glad you cry at Puff the Magic Dragon. I want to write him out of that cave and make little Jackie Paper remember him. It just killed me to listen to that song, especially listening to it with my first child.

    I can only read so much of a book I can't get into. There are so many that people loved that I just couldn't see what the buzz was about.

    About your reads, I love Fallen!!! And the sequel is even better. Only problem is the next one doesn't come out until next June and then there's a fourth! I hate waiting. I haven't read Hush, Hush, or the Hunger Games. I'm afraid they won't live up to the hype. I hope you enjoy them.

    Heather
    Buried in Books

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't like to give up books so I will also put a tough one aside them come back to it. What I usually try to do is read a chapter of the tough book each day before I start the other book.

    Here's My Hop

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Katie! So glad you found me today. I'm following you now too!

    You have some great books in that selection. I always get Hush, Hush and Fallen confused...though I did love them both. Can't wait to read both of the followup books.

    Enjoy your weekend :)
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just hopping by! *Waves*. I am a new follower. I hope you get a chance to stop by my blog. I started the countdown to Halloween today! There will be great halloween festivites coming this weekend and the rest of the month. And you can join in on the fun to! You can submit your own scary story, fact or fiction. Just sumbit it in the comments and I will post them.

    www.crazy-bookworm.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love what you say about USA vs UK pockets. I noticed the same (I'm from the Netherlands & read a lot of UK books but also get book swaps from the USA).

    What do you prefer? I love the USA floppy books. Maybe because the spine is less likely to break and it just feels nicer.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Katie--visiting you (and following now) from the blog hop. If you want to return the favor, stop on by The Book Frog. My answer to today's question is here.

    Happy reading (and blogging).

    Becky

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Katie
    Thanks for stopping by my blog earlier. We think the same way about the topic - hate to give up :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for stopping by on the Hop.

    I don't give up on books I've agreed to review. I tend to pick up library books on a whim and those are usually the ones I don't finish. Doesn't happen too often but when it does I don't feel bad.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Katie,
    Am always so pleased to find other UK bloggers through the hop! You are so right about the different 'feels' of UK and US books. I tend to prefer the way ours look, but I think theirs last longer.
    I love your list of favourite books :)
    Lyndsey

    ReplyDelete
  10. What were those three books you couldn't finish?

    I try really hard too, and often put them down for something I'm in the mood for :)

    New follower here!

    Check out my Blog Hop and Follow Friday HERE!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I also wonder why I don't use the time to read a better book. I haven't had that problem in a while though. I just finished a fantastic book and I hope the next one will keep me just as enthralled.

    ReplyDelete

Come and say hello! I don't bite (well, except at the full moon...)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...